Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Difference Engine

Jacob - guitar, clarinet, yelps
Sean - bass, drums, sax, squawks
Rick - guitar, trumpet, beeps
Miggy Clark - drums, hoots
Benny - free percussion, grunts
Caitlin Bender - disembodied voices


Steam Punk Noise from: Mobile, Alabama / Oakland, California / Honolulu, Hawaii.
Other Projects (not in order): NO BABIES, XBXRX, Lightrunner, Abstract Artimus, Klactoveedsedstene, Criticism, Little Flower, Yacob, C-Bend, Conflict Hymens, Super Nice Bros., Roman Gabriel Todd's Beast rising Up Out of the Sea.

It was Christmas of 2006, and I was living in Charlotte, North Carolina with my girlfriend Ashley. We were living at her mothers house and both of us were working at this pottery painting store. I know, what the fuck is that? We were more like babysitters. Parents would drop off their kids and we would teach them to paint for a few hours. Anyways, I would use the stores computer to check my myspace and listen to music. I had gotten a friend request from this band The Difference Engine

Two of the members were my very good friends Sean Engine and Jacob Engine from Mobile, Alabama. I had just been their a few months earlier, while on tour, so I was really excited to listen to their band. The first song, "They Unfroze Me In The Future Man!", ran shivers through my body. It made me shake my ass, and spazz the fuck out! I couldn't believe that these were the kids I knew. I quickly got on the phone and called Sean Engine to tell him that I was in love with The Difference Engine. I hadn't even listened to the rest of the songs they had on their myspace. I told him when I was going back to Savannah, Georgia and that they should play at my house, The Pink Palace. They were more than happy to add another tour date to their schedule, and were stoked about coming to Savannah to play. 

The show finally happened and I was mesmerized by their performance. I spoke to Sean and Jacob about my plans of starting SawJaw Records and it's purpose. They were familiar with what I had been doing and were excited to be a part of it. The Difference Engine went on, touring extensively throughout the US. Due to each of the members living all over the northwestern hemisphere there were often breaks for their band. After four years steaming and other projects cooking, The Difference Engine over heated. "Death to The Engine, Long Live The Difference" was what the answering machine said. 

A few months after the break up, The Difference Engine left me with "History of Horrendipity". Their last testament and SawJaw Records second official release (SJR-002). Eight newly recorded and mastered tracks, in other words this is the essentials. If you don't like this, then you shouldn't be living. I'm kidding, I really hope you like it, because for years all I wanted to do was to be in this band!

Live! @ The Bakery in Oakland, California.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
1. Free Agents of the Steam Age
2. Klezmer
3. Evil Mr. Sandman
4. The Dunwich Horror
5. Pulp People
6. Distraught
7. They Unfroze Me In The Future Man
8. I Wanna Eat Your Eyes

SJR-002 (2008)

DOWNLOAD - Mediafire link available!

No comments:

Post a Comment